Monday, July 13, 2009

a date to remember

Two years ago today I learned how powerful aspirin would be in my life. It's not just for old people! However it was also the worst day of my life-so far. My husband and I went in for our 12 week OB appointment to learn that our baby no longer had a heartbeat. We had an ultrasound at about 8 weeks and everything seemed fine with the exception of my low progesterone, so the Dr. put me on supplements. Instead of waiting to see what my body would do I opted for a D & C, I didn't think I could wait days or weeks knowing and nothing happening. The one thing that came out of it was a diagnoses that related my sons birth to my now two miscarriages. Li was born at 37 weeks (with a little help of modern medicine) and he only weighed 4 lb 15 oz. So tiny for a 37 weeker, his delivery was a c-section due to preeclampsia and his being breech. He was in the NICU for 2 weeks, had to be ventilated and he had to learn how to eat. Our questions went completely unanswered, we had no idea why Li was so small nor why I had blood pressure problems. 2 years ago we got our answer and to save you from the long medical terms, my blood was thicker than normal, therefore he wasn't getting the nutrients he needed and my placenta was clotting with my miscarriages. We would try a baby aspirin and if that didn't work there is a shot that you can take to help. Li was and is our miracle baby, a lot of babies born to moms with this condition die in utero. Also the baby aspirin works, I took it with Sweet Pea, absolutely no problems and she was a healthy 7 lb 2 oz. But today will always be a day of mourning and triumph. I mourn for the babies that I will not get to meet in this life but I triumph for the two children that God has blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment